Unconditional love. Long-lasting friendship. Consistent entertainment. There are so many wonderful things to love and admire about puppies. Cute, cuddly, and sweet-natured, puppies are usually the highlight of a bad day or our go-to companions for adventures in the outdoors. That’s why many dog lovers affirm that puppies are a great addition to one’s family and home!
If you don’t have a puppy in your life, what are you waiting for? Puppies fill the hearts and homes of every dog owner with so much joy and love that you’ll never be bored. Spending time with puppies also boosts your health and wellbeing. In this new year, make getting a puppy the next mark off your checklist!
- Puppies help us feel less alone. Puppies are by our side, no matter what. Once they’ve bonded completely with you, your furry bestie will give you unconditional love, attention, support, and sweet puppy kisses. And they won’t ask for anything in return! Don’t believe us? Check out this fascinating report from the Human Animal Bond Research Institute: 85 percent of respondents (dog owners and non-dog owners alike) responded that regular interactions with puppies and other pets reduce loneliness. The new year may feel a little less lonely if you have a furry friend with you!
- Puppies help you live a long and healthy life. Owning a puppy does more than give you a friend. It also helps you live a longer and healthier life! Studies published between 1950 and 2019 have shown that dog ownership is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality rate. This is because the human-animal bond is one of the strongest relationships on the planet. And fostering a beautiful friendship with your furry bestie means low stress levels and a positive mindset. In the same studies reviewed by the AHA Journals, even owners who have had serious heart conditions like heart attacks or strokes experience a lower risk of death.
- Puppies lower your stress levels. Yes, you read that right! Whether you’re coming home after a rough day at work or experiencing personal struggles, a puppy can make a huge difference in your life. Puppies offer unconditional love and support. They’re by your side no matter what. They can ease your worries just by wagging their tails and peppering kisses all over your face. According to the helpguide, playing a puppy for a few minutes can increase serotonin and dopamine levels in your body, which allows you to calm down and relax. You’re also less likely to suffer from mental illness like depression or anxiety. Your furry bestie will always help you feel safe and comfortable whenever you’re around them.
- Puppies encourage you to be active. Exercise is the most important part of a puppy’s daily routine. With just a few hours of exercise and playtime, your puppy will be mentally and physically fit. And fortunately, this type of routine also works for humans! Long walks around the neighborhood, going to the dog park, and playing games with your cuddly buddy can help you stay active. In fact, a New York Times article found that dog owners receive four times more exercise and physical activity than non-dog owners. So, if becoming physically fit and active is one of your New Year’s resolutions, having a puppy in your life may just be the secret ingredient to accomplishing your goal!
- Puppies make us more social. Are you ready to make new friends next year? You can count on your puppy to make that happen. Walking with your furry friend or sharing pictures about your puppy on social media can be a conversation starter for many. You’ll be able to meet and talk with other people who may have the same dog breed and interests as you! This can help you make friends and become a part of your community. Of course, take into consideration the current social distancing and protective measures.
- Puppies are so cute that we can’t resist them. It’s undeniable that puppies are cute. Their big eyes, adorable button nose, and wagging tail make them so irresistible to us—and surprisingly, there’s a scientific reason behind this fact. With their soft and cute features, puppies possess an “infant schema,” which triggers an emotional response in humans the same way they do with babies. This explains why many people warm up to puppies so quickly. You’ll notice this response whenever you’re watching cute animal videos, especially ones with puppies.
- Puppies make us happier. Looking at your dog for a few minutes can instantly brighten your day. We have the science to prove it! A 2009 study from Japan reported that gazing into your puppy’s eyes elevates your oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is also known as the “love hormone”, which builds empathy, trust, and positivity in humans. So, along with keeping you healthy, active, and social, you’ll also feel a lot happier with your furry friend!
A four-legged friend that gives you lots of love, support, and friendship makes life a whole lot sweeter! During these tough times, it’s always important to have a friend that you can lean on. Having your puppy with you is the best way to ensure you’re never alone or feeling sad, especially with the new year coming!