Choosing the right puppy for you can be very exciting…and a little frightening! After all, it’s important to choose a breed that matches perfectly with your lifestyle and personality. Your furry friend also needs someone who will be able to meet their many physical and emotional needs. Before you begin thinking about bringing a puppy home, you need to make sure that you’ve thought about the best possible breeds. That way, you can both live happily together under one roof as best friends!
Of course, there are hundreds of dog breeds around the world. How do you know which one is the perfect fit for you? Thankfully, each puppy breed has their own cuddly set of traits that can help you make that decision. Here are a few tips to consider when picking the right breed for you!
- Personality. Like people, all puppies have a unique personality that sets them apart from others. They have their quirks, likes, and dislikes that make them irresistible for every interested puppy parent. However, many puppies have personality traits that are natural to their own breed. Terrier breeds, for example, tend to be energetic and noisy. They often love chasing games due to their general origin in farms and other domestic work. Sporting breeds are much more active and love exercise, preferably in wide open spaces. Toy breeds are often chosen for their size but they generally have a tough attitude to make up for it. Most puppies have a discernible personality by the time they’re 7 weeks of age. Depending on your personality, you may want a puppy that you can be able to understand.
- Size. Do you want a small puppy or a large puppy? It all depends on you and your living conditions. If you live in an apartment or have a small backyard, you may want to choose a dog breed that is able to adapt to it. Smaller breeds are delicate and sensitive to certain lifestyles. Most small breeds can live in small or large spaces but remember: some small puppies have a spunky and stubborn attitude to make up for their tiny size! Larger breeds, on the other hand, need more space to move around. They may need more food, doggy supplies, and more. Make sure you are able to accommodate your living spaces and overall lifestyle for your cuddly friend.
- Exercise Level. Every puppy needs routine exercise, regardless of their breed or size. But some breeds need a little more exercise than others. These breeds do not just need activity for physical reasons; their mental health can suffer without it! With these puppies, life can become very boring so they may entertain themselves by misbehaving and making a mess around your home. Make sure you check how much exercise each breed you like needs to see if it matches with your lifestyle. Check out our blog, 5 Best Puppy Breeds For An Active Lifestyle to learn more about energetic puppies!
- Physical Maintenance. Your puppy needs regular grooming to look their very best! With some puppies, their grooming needs a specific style depending on their coat. Many puppies are short-haired breeds that shed their coat during a specific season. It’s usually easier to groom a short-haired breed than a long-haired one as their fur may not have any mats and tangles. Puppies with a curlier or wavy coat may need to be groomed consistently since their fur is prone to mats and tangles. They also have double coats or thick undercoats that require regular combing, de-matting, and more!
- Breed. Is there a puppy you have your heart set on? Many new pet parents choose a dog breed based on numerous reasons. You may like how a breed looks or acts. Perhaps you’ve grown up with a particular breed or research about them. It’s important to note that every breed has different needs that need to be understood by each puppy parent. Your puppy, regardless of their breed, is like a small child and it takes a lifetime to learn all of their quirks. Therefore, you need to be ready to handle your puppy and the challenges that come with their breed including personality, grooming needs, and health problems!
When you bring your new puppy home, you’ll have lots of fun getting to know them! No matter how much you’ve researched about their breed, there will always be something about your cuddly friend that will surprise you. We guarantee that you’ll never be lonely when you have a four-legged friend by your side. We at Petland hope you have fun searching for your new furry bestie!