How to teach your puppy their name
Follow these steps to teach your puppy their name:
- Remove any distractions in the room and keep your puppy on a long leash.
- Give him a few minutes to wander.
- When your pup isn’t looking call his name very clearly.
- Make sure he comes towards you. If not, then reel him with the leash.
- Give your puppy a treat and a lot of praise.
- Repeat the exercise a few times over and over again. Increase the time you require their attention before a treat each time.
- After your puppy is consistently returning to you when you call his name change the location.
- Repeat this exercise at a park or at the beach. This will help your pup recognize their name in different environments.
Getting a new puppy is very exciting. Although, the first thing you might want to do is play and cuddle with your new fur-baby, it’s never too early to begin teaching him some basic and essential commands.
Here’s a few tips to help you teach your puppy some basic commands:
- Hold a treat close to your puppy’s nose and allow your puppy to smell it.
- Say, “Sit,” and slowly move your hand upwards.
- As your puppy’s head comes up, their hips will go down.
- Once your puppy has sat down, give your best friend a treat and a lot of praise.
- Practice a few more times, then stop and practice another day.
On the next training session, follow these same steps. However, this time delay the treat a few more seconds and then give one to your puppy with a lot of praise. This will cause your fur-baby to hold still for a longer time, and make the next training sessions easier.
- Tell your puppy to sit with a treat in your hand.
- Reward your puppy with a treat.
- Open your now-empty hand with the palm towards your puppy.
- Say, “Stay,” but do not step away. (Do not say, “stay,” with a happy tone of voice used for praise)
- Wait ten second before rewarding you puppy with a treat and praise.
- Practice a few more time, then stop and practice another day.
On the next training session, repeat step 1 through 4 but step away, wait ten seconds, and then move back towards your puppy.
- Hold a treat close to your puppy’s nose.
- Say, “Lay down,” then slowly lower your hand to the floor as your puppy follows.
- Move the treat towards your puppy.
- Once your puppy lays down completely, give your fur-baby a treat and a lot of love.
After each training session, you should play with your puppy and rub their tummy. Remember to keep training sessions short, sweet and positive!
Don’t forget about 5 Things You Must Teach Your New Puppy during their training.