Does your puppy love to mouth at flies or mosquitoes? Do you notice your pup digging for worms in the yard? Most dogs and cats will eat a bug or two at some point in their lives. It’s typical animal behavior to bite or chew on anything that moves. However, while it may be cute […]
Does your puppy love to mouth at flies or mosquitoes? Do you notice your pup digging for worms in the yard? Most dogs and cats will eat a bug or two at some point in their lives. It’s typical animal behavior to bite or chew on anything that moves.
However, while it may be cute to watch your adorable pooch chase after a bug, you may want to discourage this behavior. Many bugs have natural defenses, like toxins or stings that protect them from predators. Other bugs may have other features that can cause harm to your pooch.
To be on the safe side, take a look at these 5 reasons your puppy shouldn’t eat bugs:
Bugs like wasps and bees will sting or bite your puppy at any chance they get. If your fur-baby bites at these critters, they will likely get stung in their face or mouth. A painful sting will cause their tongues or lips to swell, making it hard to eat or drink.
What’s worse is that some puppies may have a severe allergic reaction to bee stings and go into shock. Other bugs, like spiders, may bite if disturbed from their hiding spots. A black widow, for example, has a painful and venomous bite that can be fatal if left untreated. If you think your pup has been bit by a spider, it’s best to take a trip to the vet.
Some bugs have toxins that are released when they’re ingested. These toxins may be strong enough to cause your puppy a bad tummy ache, inflammation, or even oral lesions. One way to know if a bug is toxic is to check its color: the more colorful it is, the more likely it can make your fur-baby sick. Caterpillars and ladybugs are a few toxic insects you should keep an eye on.
Your puppy may become infested with parasites when eating certain bugs. Fleas, for instance, may carry tapeworms, a common parasite in dogs. If ingested by a dog, tapeworms will inhabit their body. Fortunately, these worms aren’t too life-threatening, but they can still cause stomach problems for your pooch. We recommend using flea prevention methods, like flea-killing shampoo, to get rid of fleas.
Other bugs, like cockroaches and beetles may carry a parasite called Physaloptera (also known as the “stomach worm infection”). Just one or multiple worms in your puppy’s stomach can cause them to get very sick. One of the symptoms of this parasite is constant or severe vomiting. You can prevent your puppy from contracting these pests by stopping their bug eating behavior.
It’s common to use insecticides to kill insects that bother us. What you may not know is that these insecticides can be toxic to your furry friend. Some poisons can cause an upset stomach and other health conditions in your puppy. Since bugs can come from anywhere, you won’t be able to tell which ones have insecticides. If your puppy likes to eat bugs while inside, we recommend trying a natural, non-chemical way of killing these pests.
Some insects contain an exoskeleton that protects their bodies on the inside. Think of beetles and cockroaches as examples. Your fur-baby may be able to break through the crunchy shell but the pieces may get lodged in its throat. This can lead to a serious choking hazard, especially if your puppy can’t dislodge the pieces. If your furry friend does manage to swallow the shell fragment, it may end up irritating and even blocking their digestive tract.
Just to be safe, do not let your puppy munch on any bug. You do not want to risk an emergency vet visit, even if it seems your pup is just having a tasty treat. Your puppy will always depend on you for their health and safety so it’s important to make the right decisions for them! What helps prevent bug eating behavior is to be alert when your furbaby is outside. When in doubt, consult with your vet.
Looking for your dream puppy? Take a look at our list of 6 Dog Breeds That Love to Bark to find the right pooch for you!