Halloween is a fun time for families to celebrate with spookiness, creative costumes, and of course, candy! Most pets, however, may find the festivities a bit too much—almost like a nightmare. For them, there’s nothing exciting about loud noises and strangers in weird costumes knocking at your door every minute. Your pet’s curiosity may also […]
Halloween is a fun time for families to celebrate with spookiness, creative costumes, and of course, candy! Most pets, however, may find the festivities a bit too much—almost like a nightmare. For them, there’s nothing exciting about loud noises and strangers in weird costumes knocking at your door every minute.
Your pet’s curiosity may also get the best of them as they chew on electrical cords of Halloween decorations or sticking their heads in lit up jack-o’-lanterns. Along with indoor dangers, there are also various outdoor dangers that could pose a threat for your furry friend. It’s important, as pet parents, to be aware of these potential threats and stay prepared.
While you get ready for Halloween, be sure to keep your pets safe with the following tips!
Halloween isn’t Halloween without some yummy chocolates! While these treats are an absolute delight for us humans, they aren’t exactly good for our pets, especially dark chocolate. Puppies, cats, mice, and many other pets can suffer from deadly reactions when they consume chocolate-y treats.
Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine, which humans can break down easily once ingested. Most pets do not have the ability to do this, causing theobromine to increase to toxic levels in their bodies. Some severe reactions to chocolate include trembling, vomiting, and heart failure.
Instead of toxic treats, opt for yummy ones instead! Check out our 5 Best Homemade Dog Biscuits For Your Puppy for some DIY options.
Trick-or-treating candy may seem harmless at first. After all, many candies are chocolate-free and should be safe enough for your pet to eat…right? Think again.
It’s true that many candies do not contain chocolate, but they do have another toxic compound: xylitol. Xylitol can be found in numerous sugar-free bubblegums, mints, and sweets that can make your pet very sick.
Even chewing a small piece of gum can cause your puppy to vomit, have a sudden drop in blood sugar, and even seizures. Many candies also have high amounts of sugar, which can make your furry friend have a tummy ache. Just keep all candies away from your pets; it’s better to be safe than sorry!
Candles are a great way to bring on the Halloween spirit to any home. Unfortunately, our pets do not understand the dangers of a lit candle.
A curious kitty may think a candle is a toy, knocking it over and starting a fire. Same goes with lit up jack-o’-lanterns and other Halloween decorations. To prevent unwanted accidents or injuries, make sure all candles and jack-o’-lanterns are out of your pet’s reach.
Halloween decorations often need to be plugged into an outlet to show off their spookiness. Many pets, like a teething puppy, kitten, or bunny, may use extension cords as their personal chew toys, leading to potential danger.
Battery-powered decor may also pose a threat as batteries are known to cause chemical burns in your pet’s tummy. You can prevent these injuries by hiding extension cords, batteries, and other hazards away from your pet. Be vigilant when your puppy is near any extension cord.
Pumpkins and corn always add that special aesthetic touch to a house during the Halloween season. Small amounts of either plant are safe for most pets to ingest, but as Halloween decor, these can cause serious problems.
If consumed in large quantities, pumpkins and corn can lead to intestinal blockage and painful stomach aches in your pet. Some pumpkin displays may also contain mold that can cause neurological problems in dogs and cats. As a precaution, do not allow your pet near the pumpkin and corn decor.
We all love to dress up for Halloween, whether for trick-or-treating or a fun Halloween party. And with the numerous pet costumes available online and in store, it’s fun to let our furry friends join in on the festivities!
If you’ve decided to dress your pup up for Halloween, make sure the getup does not restrict their movements. Their costume should not choke them or block their hearing and eyesight. Pay attention to your pet while they have their costume on, in case something goes wrong.
For some puppies or kittens, wearing a costume can be stressful or annoying. If you notice your pet shows signs of distress with their costumes on, take it off immediately. Do not force your pet to continue wearing the attire. You can choose a simple bandana or bowtie for a simple Halloween outfit. Check out our 10 Hilarious Halloween Costumes For Your Puppy for some cute (and funny) ideas!
It’s sad to say, but Halloween can bring out the ugly side of people. Dogs and cats (especially black cats) may become victims of terrible pranks if left in the yard on Halloween night. These pranks may leave your pet traumatized, injured, or even stolen. To be on the safer side, have your pet inside the house while the spooky festivities go on.
The noises and strange costumes can make your pet incredibly stressed and anxious. On top of this, the constant opening and closing of the door can give your pet the opportunity to run out into the night. Your pet may also display aggression towards strangers, especially if their costumes are very ghoulish.
Keep your pet’s night stress-free by placing them in a quiet room that drowns out the excitement of Halloween. Make sure you leave their favorite toys, blankets, and other items with them. You can also try some of the calming remedies on our blog, How to Calm Your Puppy During A Thunderstorm.
On Halloween, you should have your pet’s ID and microchip ready and activated in case of emergencies. You never know when your pet can dart out the door and escape. An ID tag and microchip will give you a better chance at having your cuddly pet pal returned to you.
At Petland, our puppies are microchipped before purchase, and puppy parents have a chance to register it on the database. Once purchased, all that’s left is for owners to regularly update the information on the tag and ID. It’s important to do this, as it can help others identify you if your pet becomes lost.
You can use Halloween (and other holidays) as a reminder to renew the contact information on your pet’s IDs.
Glowsticks are a common Halloween prop that can add unwanted problems if pet-parents aren’t careful. The liquid inside of a glowstick isn’t toxic to humans or animals, but a pet that chews one open can become upset.
The material does not only taste awful, but may also cause vomiting or a bad tummy ache—not so fun for either pet or owner! Keep glowsticks away from your pet as much as you can.
If your pet happens to chew their way into one, wash their mouth off with water or give them a small meal to clear it out.
Halloween can be fun and festive for everyone, but without the right precautions, it can easily turn stressful. Remember to consider your pet’s comfort and safety before taking them out trick-or-treating or to a Halloween event. Always stay calm and prepared at all times. Whether they join in on the spooky festivities or stay in a quiet room, we’re sure your puppy will have an exciting, safe time on Halloween!
Make sure to check out our blog, Remember: Candy and Puppies Don’t Mix to learn more about what your puppy shouldn’t eat on Halloween.