Valentine’s Day is a time when people show feelings of love, affection and friendship. What better time to set up a playdate for your furry friend! Play dates can be valuable for your puppy’s well-being and should always be a positive experience for all puppies. It’s an excellent way for them to release excess energy, exercise and learn a few doggie manners from each other as they socialize.
Tips for a Successful Playdate:
- Keep the first meeting and interaction calm. Allow the puppies to sniff each other for a moment, then take them for a short walk together before letting them off-leash.
- Meet for the first time in neutral territory. Choose a safe, fenced-in area that’s not too large so you can easily get to the puppies if necessary.
- Try to match your puppy with another puppy whose personality is the same.
- If you see your puppy is not interested or is not playing appropriately you may have to end the play date earlier.
- Don’t try to force the interaction between the pups. Let them set the pace and initiate to play with each other.
- Play close attention to the puppies and their attitudes towards each other.
- Make sure to have a water and a bowl for hydration breaks!
- Bring enough toys for the puppies to each have one.
- You should always give your puppy a lot of praise and a few treats to show them they are doing a great job.
A well-mannered and socialized puppy who can hang around new people and other puppies will be a happier pup and a better companion!