Protectiveness over their home and family is a common trait among various dog breeds. While there are some dogs who work best as “alert barkers” or watchdogs, others make excellent guard dogs. These guard dog breeds do not only bark to alert their owners about someone or something outside their home, but they will absolutely take action.
Here is a list of the 10 best dog breeds who take protecting your home very seriously.
- Giant Schnauzer. The Giant Schnauzer is a large, energetic, and extremely intelligent dog breed that is well known for its strong territorial instincts. They are fiercely loyal and loving towards their owners and will do just about anything to protect their home. Their stable temperament makes them easy to train, but can be a demanding breed.
- German Shepherd. Intense and loyal, the German Shepherd makes for a great guard dog due to its natural ability to listen and obey its owners. While loving in nature, they look menacing in appearance and are wary of strangers. Their large size makes them look fearsome and helps them take down any intruder.
- Rottweiler. Their intimidating expressions and large, bulky size makes the Rottweiler well respected as a strong guard dog. Of course, while threatening in appearance, the Rottweiler is actually very affectionate and easygoing with their families. They may become fierce if they sense any threats towards their home and loved ones.
- Doberman Pinscher. Elegant-looking yet fearless, the Doberman Pinscher is a dog breed known for its protectiveness over its home and family. They’re a little more challenging to care for as they require lots of exercise, but their loyalty and trainability makes them perfect for guarding homes.
- Chow Chow. The Chow Chow may look cute in appearance, but don’t be fooled—it’s very protective over its family and home. As a result, they can be wary and distant with strangers or unfamiliar guests. They were once used as guard dogs in the great palaces of Asia, which is where they get their loyal and temperamental nature.
- Akita. With the Akita, you don’t need a security system for your home. With its attentive nature and high intelligence, the Akita makes for a powerful guard dog. They are naturally suspicious of strangers and other dogs, which stems from their love and devotion to their families. On top of this, they are very courageous and composed.
- Rhodesian Ridgeback. The Rhodesian Ridgeback possesses the quiet, gentle, and affectionate temperament found in many hound breeds. Despite this, however, the Rhodesian Ridgeback can become instantly territorial and alert with strangers or unfamiliar guests. It’s also large in size, which can give it a menacing presence.
- Bullmastiff. Originally bred as guard dogs, the Bullmastiff is a loyal and territorial dog breed that has a natural guarding instinct. They can be suspicious of strangers but are willing to accept them if their owners do. Their bravery and devotion to their owners makes them one of the best guard dog breeds.
- Shar-Pei. Wrinkly, cute, and cuddly in appearance, the Shar-Pei is a great guard dog for families. They were originally bred to herd and protect flocks and watch for intruders on farms. These traits remain with the breed today since their strong protective nature makes them reserved and alert with strangers.
- Komondor. Like the Shar-Pei, the Komondor is another breed that was bred to herd livestock and protect farms. They are very serious and aloof with strangers. They are also incredibly independent, so you can be assured that your house is well protected when you’re out.
Many dog breeds possess the natural instinct to protect their loved ones from potential danger. It’s important to watch out for any signs of fear or overprotectiveness in your dog to avoid any potential dog bites or attacks. You can do this by socializing your dog as a puppy, and training them to follow commands.
We hope this list helps you determine which dog breed is the right fit for you and your family! If you would like to learn more about breeds for an active lifestyle, check out our blog, 5 Best Puppy Breeds for An Active Lifestyle to find out.